Friday, October 22, 2010

Crispiest Roast Potatoes Ever!

Getting away from the gloomy task of looking and applying for work, I've been very keen on learning new things, reading and experimenting. I've decided to try as many different kinds of coffee beans available at the bulk food place, and I've been reading Cook's Illustrated. For those who don't know, Cook's Illustrated is a wonderful magazine and online publication that offers beautifully crafted, written, and illustrated recipes for common dishes.

I happened to read a recipe for the "crispiest Roast Potatoes Ever," and I became determined to experiment with the recipe. In my own experiment, I first used the average white potato that I bought in bulk from the discount supermarket, the kind that sells at a ridiculously cheap price for a 10kg bag. The results, using the skeleton of the recipe from Cook's Illustrated, were quite good: crisp skins, nice colouration.

After two attempts with the ordinary white potato, I decided to try Cook's Illustrated astounding conclusion: Yukon Golds. Actually, I tested three kinds of potatoes: whites, reds, and Yukon Golds. The Yukon Gold had the perfect, and I mean perfect, amount of crispness and creamy softness in the middle. I was so pleased with the results that I couldn't stop trumpeting about them to my wife as we ate.

I suppose the reason I couldn't believe it was because I don't often find recipes that work, nor do I find recipes that explain the science behind the process. Cook's Illustrated did (and continues to do) a wonderful job at making the testing phase of cooking understandable to the common cook, and I have never been more thrilled with my roast potatoes.

Yukon Gold roast potatoes are the absolute best potatoes to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment