Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book Recommendation: When God Winks on New Beginnings

The title seemed to leap out at me: "When God Winks on New Beginnings: Signposts of Encouragement for Fresh Starts and Second Chances."  (By Squire Rushnell)

I suppose at many stages of our lives, that's what we're looking for: a fresh start, another chance, a second go. I love the stories that are woven into the theme. People who are living out their lives and have incredible encouragement or prompting to take action on their dreams. My favourite is about a woman named Carol McMannus who owns a cafe on Martha's Vineyard called Espresso Love. The story is about how she was at the bottom, the trough of her life, and how the few months after hitting that trough she grew an incredible coffee business that seemed to have many Godwinks on it. Great story because that dream is still in my own head, but the financing isn't. I've been trying to figure out how one might secure financing for such a project, but I guess it will take time. But I absolutely loved the story, loved how she became successful, and loved who she credited that success to.

There's also another story about a pilot flying in the middle of the night whose cockpit lights and radar go out completely. With no way to find the airport, you read as there's an amazing string of events happening throughout that time, and an even better ending is the family involved. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment